When CBD or cannabidiol was first discovered in the year 1940 it was not known that it is a pharmaceutically active compound. CBD naturally occurs in the cannabis plant and makes up 40% of the plant constituents. Almost 113 cannabinoids are found in the hemp plant and it is one of them.
CBD and THC are the two most talked-about cannabis compounds. But, while THC is sought after by its users for the euphoric effects, CBD poses no such property and is not psychoactive like its counterpart THC.
CBD has always remained in the picture for its many properties but it is just recently that CBD is getting so much focus from the producers as well as consumers. It has always been known that CBD possesses some medicinal properties and these beliefs have been revived following several personal stories of people who have benefitted through its use in their management of diseases. The effects of CBD Oil had proven to be very reliable.
Several studies conducted on this amazing cannabinoid have highlighted its anti-inflammatory, neuroprotective, anti-anxiety and analgesic properties.
It was then explained how CBD was able to project these effects on our bodies. CBD can be inhaled, consumed or applied topically. Whatever is the mode of its entry into our body it exerts its anti-inflammatory, anti-anxiety, and other properties through the means of receptors.
The main receptors that they interact with are the CB1 and CB2 receptors. CBD, however, interacts with them indirectly and with their interaction, CBD can influence the body’s ECS or Endocannabinoid System. Endocannabinoid System is known to up-regulate or down-regulate the various mechanisms of our body like sleep, appetite, and mood.
CBD properties which make it suitable for medicinal use
- Anti-inflammatory: Most of the pain that is experienced in the body is a result of inflammation. CBD is a naturally occurring anti-inflammatory compound and can reduce the inflammation in the body along with the pain associated with it. This is the reason why CBD is popularly used in the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS).
- Apoptotic properties: Apoptotic properties are the qualities that enable CBD to prove helpful in the treatment of cancer. This quality of CBD hinders the growth, division, and migration of the cancer cells in the body which promotes the death of the cancer cells.
- Anti-psychotic: CBD though being a close relative to THC in which a psychoactive compound can be used for the treatment of mental diseases. Some of the mental problems it is used for are schizophrenia and psychosis.
- Anti-anxiety: Cannabidiol has anti-anxiety properties that mean it has the capability to reduce the stress and tension experienced by people who suffer from social anxiety disorders. This is the reason why it can be used for the treatment of PTSD.
- Anti-seizure properties: CBD exerts a positive influence over the nervous system. It also has neuroprotective properties. This positive influence on the nervous system has been recognized and is used for the management of seizures in epileptic patients.
- Antiemetic effects: Studies had been carried out on rats that proved that CBD has antiemetic effects or nausea reducing properties. For this very reason, CBD is usually used to reduce nausea that results from the cancer treatment.
- Beneficial effects in Diabetes:
Researchers have found out that CBD was successful in reducing glucose levels in obese rats. Further, as a result of the treatment with CBD, the occurrence of diabetes was reduced in the treated mouse compared to the untreated ones.
The beneficial or medicinal properties of the cannabis plant have been known for ages. But it is only recently that compounds like CBD and THC have come into the focus. This has also led to the recognition of their positive effects on the management of several diseases. Studies had been conducted in the past but many medical mysteries regarding CBD are still unknown. The only way we can gain more knowledge about CBD is by waiting for the results of the studies conducted by our present researchers. Even though a lot of things are still needed to be disclosed, its beneficial properties that have helped many people cannot be dismissed. Uses of CBD Oil is getting more popular every day.
The evidence that we have to date only points out that Cannabinoid’s explained is a naturally occurring compound that is safe and is the solution to several diseases.